Rast Attack

5 Apr

In the beginning there was one…And approximately 3 years later another one came along…

When I was pregnant with my first son my parents were kind enough to purchase nursery furniture for us.  Everything matched and all was right with the world.  When baby boy number two arrived, we needed more storage for all that babies come with, but were not in a position to purchase a second matching dresser for ourselves.  My fairy Godmother beautifully re-finished an antique dresser that was actually mine as a child and that worked for a while. 

As the boys got bigger and grew too large for a crib, we looked into bunk beds.  My husband has the scars to prove how dangerous bunk beds can be for boys, so I was pleased to find a shorter version at Ikea. 

We opted for the white panels though.  So now, with bunk beds sporting white paneling and natural wood tones, I could no longer stand the chaos of competing wood tones and color schemes. 

I was not satisfied with any of the affordable options that I found online or in stores in my area and I do love a good project…

So we purchased two Rast dressers and hacked them until they were more Pottery Barn than Ikea…




Once I hatched the idea in my head, I happened to come across a very similar hack on Design Sponge.   Since Nadia had spelled out each step, it really saved me a lot of planning.  Of course we opted not to include shelves in the middle and purchased a chair (also from Ikea) instead. 

The new hardware was also purchased from Ikea.  All other supplies came from our neighborhood Home Depot. 

My loving husband did all the hard work while I supervised.  We only had one “discussion,” as my Grandmother calls them. 

In the end I am more than pleased with how the piece turned out.  Eventually when the boys grow out of it I know I can easily use it as a buffet  or console somewhere else in the house. 

Happy Hacking! 

Pin It

4 Responses to “Rast Attack”

  1. whoopiecookie April 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

    correction: “heated discussion” 😉 love, s.

  2. sara January 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

    Love this! Are there 2 pieces of plywood on top of eachother or did you just paint the front side white and stain the top? Also, what did you do (if anything) about the little ends that stick up on each end of the dresser? Do those drawer pulls require one hole or two. Sorry for all the questions.Thank you.

    • Yvette January 31, 2012 at 10:50 am #

      Hey Sara,
      We did use 2 pieces of plywood on top of eachother. We painted the bottom one white and stained the top piece. We didn’t do anything to the ends that stick up on each end of the dresser so there is a small gap between the top of the dressers and the first piece (the painted piece) of plywood. It’s pretty negligible though. The drawer pulls required 2 holes each. We just filled the original holes with filler prior to painting and then made new ones once the paint dried. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions! Good Luck! We’d love to see how it turns out!


  1. Custom Collection « whoopie cookie - March 5, 2012

    […] might remember from this post that I love a good Ikea hack.  At the time we made this double dresser/console we were looking […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: